Friday, June 3, 2011

In Memory

As I have grown up Memorial Day has changed for me. It used to mean a day driving around Idaho and Utah hearing my parents reminisce about people and times that I was not familiar with. I enjoyed spending time with family and usually having a barbeque. Now that I am older it is my children that drive with me to visit those who have gone on before us. It is a special day to think of the sacrifices of those who have served us and our country. I have many loved ones who have passed on, and I think of them dearly throughout the year. I am glad that we have this wonderful day set aside to slow down and ponder the past and the future.
Julia was named after two different Great-Grandmothers named Julia. She is next to one of their graves in this picture.
Cecilia enjoyed being able to help put flowers on the graves. This picture would have been perfect without my shadow in it!
Benson is sitting behind my grandfather's gravestone. Benson's middle name is also Vinton.

4 comments:

Erica said...

That is so neat that you would take your kids around on Memorial Day and show them their ancestors graves. That's what I remember about Memorial Day as a kid. I want to take my kids next year I think it is very important they know their family who have gone before!

Kelly Stoddart said...

I lov memorial day too!

Oveson's said...

That is so cool!! How fun to show them who they are named after...so fun!!

Ross, Amanda, and Sons said...

I like how you have given them names to carry on family legacies. Very cool@