Wednesday, April 13, 2011

A Great Adventure!

We spent the beginning of April in Iowa and Illinois. We flew out to Iowa to take care on my John and Val's four kid's while they were in Europe. The first few days of our trip were spent with my parents in Nauvoo. None of my family had been there before, and so it was truly and great adventure for us. This post covers some pictures from our flight and our trip to Nauvoo:
Julia waiting for our flight
Benson in the Denver airport.
Ben and the girls had a great time on the plane.
Benson and I on the plane
These two guys are such great buddies!
On a carriage ride around Nauvoo. Janie and Julia really had a great time together!
Here, the kids are looking at the horses that gave us a carriage ride.
Making rope together
Cute cousins!
It was so funny! Alton and Benson took turns giving each other massages!
They went to school in Nauvoo.
We were a big crew!
They were picking out a prarie diamond.
We went to a play in Nauvoo.
A picture of the Nauvoo Temple at night!
The kids hanging out in the awesome hotel room in Nauvoo. In this one room there was enough room for 12 people! It was so fun!
Inside the jail room where Joseph Smith and others were kept in Carthage.
We are inside the room where Joseph and Hyrum Smith were martyred. It was a neat experience to be here.
They are in front of the Carthage jail.
I love these guys!
A bunch of fun kids!
Leonard, Cecilia and Grandpa...I think Grandpa was a little worried Leonard was going to be tipped by CC, but we took the picture really quick. I promise he did not fall!
Grandpa, Ben and the kids!
Grandma with most of her Grandchildren
We walked along the trail that was initially called the Trail of Tears because it was the trail that the pioneers walked along when they were leaving Nauvoo. It is now called the Trail of Hope. Benson and his cousin Alton read most of the signs out loud for us along our walk.
They were playing on a ferry replica beside the Mississippi.
Cecilia standing beside the Mississippi River.
A nice shot of the Nauvoo Temple.

I thought that this was an interesting picture of the sun and star motifs on the side of the temple. There were also moons on the sides as well.

4 comments:

Erica said...

That does sound like a GREAT adventure!! I love Nauvoo! I hope to go back again someday and take my kids! It looks like you have your hands fun, but I'm sure you did great with the extra 4 kids!

Oveson's said...

So fun that you got to go to navoo!! We are going to have to do that some time!!! I will say you are one super women because it is like you went on vacation with extra kiddos. Hey and you can tell the school your kids went to school even while you were gone....lol. ;) so so fun....we are glad you guys are back though!

Kelly Stoddart said...

I am glad that you had a good time and I am glad that you had good weather!

Ross, Amanda, and Sons said...

Awesome! I want to go to Nauvoo sometime. That is cool that you took Val's kids on a vacation while they are on vacation. Fun for everyone!